This article is about ARKs in the lore. For the game, see ARK: Survival Evolved.
|This page may contain spoilers related to the background-story of ARK: Survival Evolved.|
If you want to experience the story ingame, you probably shouldn't continue reading on this page.
ARKs are space stations posing as artificial, self-sustainable environments in ARK: Survival Evolved.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Currently, there are 9 official ARKs, 5 of which are canon and 4 of which are non-canon, as well as 3 additional maps:
- The Island, an island ARK.
- Scorched Earth, a barren desert ARK. (paid DLC)
- Aberration, a malfunctioned, subterranean ARK. (paid DLC)
- The Center, a region-divided island ARK. (free DLC, non-canon)
- Ragnarok, a giant island ARK. (free DLC, non-canon)
- Valguero, an expansive land-locked ARK. (free DLC, non-canon)
- Crystal Isles, a mysterious ARK dotted with crystals. (free DLC, non-canon)
- Extinction is not an ARK but rather, an area on the corrupted Earth, that houses Proto-ARKs. (paid DLC)
- Genesis: Part 1 is more of a simulation rather than an ARK. It is revealed to be housed on a colony ship. (paid DLC)
- Genesis: Part 2 is a colony ship that houses ring worlds that are full of high tier technology. (paid DLC)
Lore[edit | edit source]
Notes/trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name "ARK" is a reference to Noah's Ark, a biblical vessel that preserved life during a global flood.
- References about mythology and sci-fi are littered throughout the ARKs and in-game Lore. The superficial references such as the Wyverns, Reapers, and other fantasy Creatures are easily identified. The deeper level references are up to the player's point of view and interpretation.
- On The Island after the Overseer is defeated the Survivor enters Ascension. Many ARKs can be seen during the Ascension cutscene ultimately reaching Scorched Earth.
- According to HLN-A, the ARKs were one of the many solutions for escape from the Element Corruption and constant wars. They were the main option humans chose to escape, while the other solutions were the Genesis-Ship and becoming Homo Deus.
- When looking closely at each pillar outside of the Proto-Arks, there are prisms similar to Specimen Implants. This indicates that the prisms/Specimen Implants symbolize the ARKs.
- Deus in Latin means "god"
- In Diana Explorer Note #19, she notes that the ARKs are all connected by one server room (located in Mt. Bracken) and finds the ARKs' current status in a slip of information:
- Currently on cycle 235669-F
- Are 96% capable of terraforming their surrounding area.
- A 0.0002% Decaying Process/Cycle
- Lost communications status with Arat Prime
- Locked Reseed Protocol
- The story of ARK: Survival Evolved actually bears some resemblance to the Godzilla Anime Trilogy in which an army of kaiju end up overrunning Earth which causes humanity to abandon the planet- only to return in an attempt to kill the rest of the kaiju, similarly to how the Titans and Element Corruption wiped out Earth and how the Survivors came back to reclaim their planet.
- Technically humans have gone extinct in ARK as the only "humans" that are left are just clones.
- This is also suggested by the existence of Homo Deus, as they could have been specifically designed to "ascend" and become stronger whereas a normal human could never do this.