|This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Epic Games, Stadia.|
The Custom Consumable is a player-created, customizable dish in ARK: Survival Evolved.
The Custom Cooking System allows survivors to create their own consumable items with custom names and ingredients to provide different effects. In order to create a custom recipe, you must first place a Note inside the Cooking Pot.
Custom recipes are most useful due to the fact that they both stack and have a standard spoil time of 48 hours. Keep in mind, however, depending on your crafting skill, custom recipes may not be as nutritious as the items used to create them, and can quickly become a cumbersome item to keep hold of. That being said, custom drinks are lighter and stack, unlike Water Jars and Canteens, and are often available earlier than either of those alternatives.
1. Make a Custom Recipe
- Craft a Note. When the UI asks for a title and contents for the note, just select or press Esc. You may also wish to use a Mindwipe Tonic to max out your Crafting Skill to get the best possible result for the recipe.
- Ensure you have plenty of the ingredients on hand. Some might spoil while you set up the recipe.
- Place the Note into a Cooking Pot. The central part of the UI displays a new option: . Select this and a new window displays.
- Select whether to create a drink or a dish - the icons at the top right next to the CREATE RECIPE heading.
- Select which icon to use for the recipe by using the arrow keys under the picture. There are 3 food icons and two drink icons to choose from.
- Customize the colorization of the icon. The numbers are for the different regions, and there is a standard palette of colors to use for each region. Any region can be set to any RGB value you like using the sliders provided.
- Type the recipe name, and a description. These appear in the tooltip when mousing over the finished items.
- Add the ingredients to the recipe from your inventory. Currently, the menu does not allow hotkey transfer of items, so they must be moved by dragging and dropping, or by left-clicking an item to move one of them, or shift+clicking them to move half of the stack.
- Only eight stacks of ingredients can be in a single recipe.
- Drugs and premade Dishes can not be used in a recipe.
- If eggs are used in the recipe, the recipe is specific to that type of egg.
- Select at the very bottom of the window to finalize the recipe, and the new recipe is placed into your inventory. The Cooking Pot does not update its contents at this stage; to update it, close its inventory and reopen it.
2. Using the Custom Recipe
Place the finished recipe into a Cooking Pot or Industrial Cooker with the required ingredients and light the fire to begin the cooking process. The speed at which the dish is created is directly related to the Crafting Skill used to create the recipe; that is higher Crafting Skills create dishes faster.
The formula for the stats of the consumable are determined by 1 + (CraftingSpeed * 1.5625 - 0.3125) * (5 x Ingredient1 x Quantity1 + 5 x Ingredient2 x Quantity2 + ...)
Focal Chili adds 100% to crafting skill, so if in use, simply add 1 to the crafting skill value or an extra 100% into the calculator.
The weight is equivalent to 0.1 + (0.2 * WeightOfAllIngredients)
If you so choose, you can make poison as either a suicide aid or a weapon to feed to your enemies.
|Giant Bee Honey||0.11||0.01||0.2||0.01||0.02|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||0.1||0.01||0.1||0.01||0.02|
| Raw Meat
Raw Fish Meat
| Raw Prime Meat
Raw Prime Fish Meat
| Cooked Meat
Cooked Meat Jerky
Cooked Fish Meat
| Cooked Prime Meat
Prime Meat Jerky
Cooked Prime Fish Meat
Cooked Lamb Chop
|Small Animal Feces||-0.05||-0.05||0||-0.05||0.01|
|Medium Animal Feces||-0.1||-0.1||0.1||-0.1||0.01|
| Large Animal Feces
Massive Animal Feces
|Snow Owl Pellet||-0.05||-0.05||0||-0.05||0.01|
*Food is only added when the consumable is a food.
**Water is only added when the consumable is a drink.
***Depends on weight of the actual Egg/Poop used. Some of the numbers are estimates.
- The crafting skill used in the calculation is the crafting skill when the recipe itself was crafted from a note, not when the recipe is being cooked, so anyone can use a Mindwipe Tonic to spend all of their engram points on crafting skill and consume a Focal Chili to create recipes with the maximum effect, then use another tonic to return to normal. However, there is a 24 hour cooldown to the tonic, so be prepared to afk for long if you play on singleplayer.
- The maximum crafting skill is 1290%(Level 110) or 1590%(Level 140) with all points in crafting skill and a Focal Chili(extra 100%), which causes all recipes to yield 14.88x their standard results.
- As soon as you have progressed far enough to gather the ingredients or have won them from Missions (Genesis: Part 1), take 2 Mindwipe Tonic and 1 Focal Chili and make custom recipes at any player level if you want to reduce spoilage. You should reset levels with the Mindwipe, level all into crafting skill, consume the Focal Chili, then make simple recipes with readily available ingredients at first; berries, cooked meat, and Aberration mushrooms make good starter recipes and the best in each category are HP: honey, food: eggs, water: crops, and weight: element dust (eggs have terrible weight efficiency) . You LOSE stats until you start seeing big STAT GAINS with most foods until around ~90 levels of crafting skill (see below). However, the efficiency of longer spoil timers on a stack of your custom consumable containing a stack of an ingredient essentially preserves the food far longer than storing a stack of that ingredient on its own. Combining a preserving bin or fridge and a high level character, your custom consumable efficiency rates can skyrocket on both # of ingredients used to raise stats, and the ratio of food/water/health gained to spoilage; a stack of custom consumables stored in a fridge spoils in 4,000d! Most all ingredients yield around 15% extra or more on their spoil timer of a full stack even without refrigeration, the two exceptions with long spoil timers being eggs and element dust because it doesn't spoil. Honey preserves the best due to its short spoil timer and non-stackable nature avoiding wastage, so it is wise to quickly cook honey that will soon spoil if not using it elsewhere. Make sure you Mindwipe back to normal player stats after gaining a level or waiting 1 day at max level.
- Raw Prime Meat (Raw, Cooked or Jerkied), Cooked Meat, Cooked Meat Jerky, Seeds, Quetzal Egg, Rex Egg, Sarco Egg, Bronto Egg, Titanoboa Egg, Giganotosaurus Egg, Crops, Kibble (Quetzal Egg) and Rare Mushroom will never provide more food in a recipe than eating the ingredients directly at vanilla maximum level. The last three items are especially wasteful in terms of food.
- The first ingredients to provide more Food in a recipe compared to eating as such are small Eggs (Turtle Egg, Compy Egg, Dilo Egg, Dimetrodon Egg, Dodo Egg, Gallimimus Egg, Kairuku Egg, Oviraptor Egg) at 340% Crafting skill and Mejoberry and the Kibbles of the above Eggs at 390% Crafting skill. The only items that need even less Crafting skill to be effective are Rare Flower and Feces, both of which do not provide much and should not be used on their own.
- Food/Water/Stamina will not be restored instantly, but instead increase at the fixed rate of 1.05 points per second. For a consumable with very high Food/Water/Stamina, the Status Effect will last proportionally longer.
- Health increases from Custom Consumables are given slowly over time. Consuming both a food and a drink will not increase this rate of healing over time.
- Each regeneration effect ends once its respective attribute reaches its maximum value. For example, if you have 100 maximum Food and eat a Custom Consumable which grants 200 food, the regeneration will be terminated once your food reaches 100. If your food drops below your maximum after this point, you will have to eat again.
- Custom Consumables may be used by tamed dinos. This appears to only grant the Stamina effect of the consumable. This may be useful for flying mounts, making it possible to cover extremely large areas without landing on a low-Stamina bird. It may also be useful as an emergency consumable to prevent a mount from automatically landing in a dangerous area when its stamina runs out.
- Crops provide excellent water in custom consumables. This can be very useful in Scorched Earth and hot biomes.
- Notes in ARK: Mobile cannot be used to create Custom Consumables. Therefore Crafting Skill has little use beyond the speed bonus in ARK: Mobile at this time.
- You will need to be careful with poisons as your enemies can see the -1000 health.