|“||That looks to be the stuff that Rockwell's been using to augment and aggro all his weird creatures.
Maybe you can use it against him... You know, fight fire with fire? Bet he won't expect you to use his precious mutagen to beef up your own critters.
Can't wait to see the look on his, uh, faces when you sic those muties on him! Just be careful handling that stuff in the meantime, yeah?
|~ Mutagen Record – HLN-A|
There are two methods of obtaining Mutagen.
Mutagen Bulbs within Rockwell's Innards biome can be harvested for 1 Mutagen and 1 Plant Species R Seed ). A wave of multiple Summoner will be triggered upon harvesting. There are usually around 3 bulbs at a time
They respawn every 8 hours on dedicated servers, and every hour on non-dedicated servers or in single-player.
You can tell when your trip into Rockwell's Innards hunting for Bulbs has come to an end, when the white 'Mutagen' Buff disappears from the bottom right of your screen.
A successful completion of the Terminus mission (the boss fight) grants a temporary world effect, that lowers the Bulb respawn time by 20%.
Each creature will require a certain amount of Mutagen in its inventory before it can actually be used. The tooltip for the Mutagen in the creature's inventory will show how much that creature needs so that it can be used. Once you have enough Mutagen in the creature's inventory, press E while hovering over it in the creature's inventory to apply the stat bonuses. Mutagen can be used only once on a creature.
The stat bonus is different depending on whether the dino was tamed, or bred:
- Tamed (only wild ancestors or clones of such tames): 5 levels are put into Health, Stamina, Weight, and Melee Damage each as pre-tame levels, resulting in an increase of 20 levels overall. These levels can be inherited by the offspring.
- Bred: 1 level is put into Health, Stamina, Weight, and Melee Damage each as post-tame levels, resulting in an increase of 4 levels overall. These levels cannot be inherited by the offspring.
Required amount of Mutagen is only dependent on the species, and not the level or the bred/tamed status. Other creatures not listed here (Titans, vehicles, tames with inaccessible inventories) cannot have their stats boosted by Mutagen.
- Contrary to the in-game description, Mutagen can be used on bred creatures.
- Although further testing is required, it appears that mutagen nodes can despawn and the buff icon in the lower corner will not update if this happens. You can scour the entire Rockwell's Innards biome with indication that mutagen is available and find none. When you leave and re-enter the biome, you will no longer have a buff indicating that mutagen exists. This seems to be a bug, but again, further tests are required. (Tested on a dedicated server as the only member using it.)
- Respawn time of Mutagen Bulbs can be scaled with the
- Torpor is not refreshed after Mutagen is applied. The player should Cryopod their creature immediately after use.
|329.5||Mutagen is added to the game.|
|329.51||Fixed some cases where Mutagen could be fed to unintended things.|