- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Sinomacrops bondei is a friendly and curious little pterosaur. It may approach and investigate unfamiliar creatures, but Sinomacrops does spook easily. When threatened, it will unfurl its wings to reveal deimatic eyespots in an attempt to confuse or scare predators away. Still, Sinomacrops seems to be a highly intelligent creature that craves social interaction. While it's normally curious and friendly, Sinomacrops' adorably oversized mouth turns into a deadly weapon at the slightest sight and smell of insects. Even alone, this cute little critter can take down insects far larger than itself. Unfortunately, this means that armor made from chitinous plates is going to trigger an attack response from the otherwise sweet-hearted pterosaur.
Taming a Sinomacrops is fairly straightforward (in theory) -- just feed them without scaring them. Once tamed, they absolutely love travelling with their humans, and prefer to cling to them whenever possible. Not only are they sociable, but they're fiercely protective once bonded. Any small creature approaching someone with a tame Sinomacrops will be met with its flashing eyespots and piercing shriek. That’s usually enough to stun an undersized interloper. For such a small flier, Sinomacrops can carry surprisingly heavy loads. It can even support the weight of a fully-grown human adult, though it will struggle to gain altitude. Still, any creature companion that can double as a glider and parachute is invaluable for anyone traversing an ARK... as long as they bring plenty of snacks for their new friend.
Found most commonly flying around the jungle, Sinomacrops are passive and flee if you sprint near them (unless wearing Chitin Armor, then they will be highly agressive).
Color Scheme and Regions.
This section displays the Sinomacrops's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Sinomacrops. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Sinomacrops will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Sinomacrops's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Sinomacrops's "main body" magenta.
Region 2 is not used
for this Creature.
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
|Base Speed||Sprinting Speed||Stamina|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
The Sinomacrops can be cloned with the Cloning Chamber.
|Cloning calculations for Sinomacrops|
|Base Cost Values|
|Element Shards||700 + 55 per level|
|Time||4900s + 385s per level|
Hold R for dino HUD
This section describes how to fight against the Sinomacrops.
Do not wear Chitin Armor when in the proximity of Sinomacrops, as they immediately become aggressive in its presence.
With Chitin in your hotbar slot 0, approach the creature (or simply go close enough to let it sense your presence and it approach you) and feed it. When you feed the creature, it will fly off for the moment which requires you to follow it (and track it with the Taming Tracker HUD.) When there are hearts floating around the creature, it will fly back to you (or hop at you, if its landed) and you can feed it. Repeat the process, and eventually and it will be tamed.
Considerations when attempting to tame the creature:
- Sprinting or jumping will spook the creature.
- Sinomacrops must be outside when attempting to tame it. They are not tamable when considered indoors. This includes Tent , and any buildings within any buildable platform saddle/ Unassembled TEK Hover Skiff.
- Sinomacrops can be trapped by having them land then walking them into a cage and closing it behind them.
- Wearing a Ghillie Armor is not recommended, since it appears to make it harder for the creature to find you during the taming process.
- Although Sinomacrops will not attack unless provoked, they are highly aggressive to anyone who are wearing even a part of Chitin Armor.
- Will require land nearby in order to land, for example being airborne (such as using another Sinomacrops) or in water will deny the prompt.
- Glider/Hover/Parachute: Sinomacrops can act as a living Parachute and more importantly, Glider Suit Skin. It will open its wings up if allowed to much like the Glider, allowing gliding across the map, or temporarily hovering above (and struggling to fly up if needed) much like Bloodstalker. However, how far or long it can hold depends greatly on its Stamina to withstand the gliding left. (Level Stamina).
- See the Abilities section for controls.
- Backpack: Sinomacrops will reduce the weight of every item in its inventory by 50% greatly increasing the amount a Survivor can carry compared to other shoulder-mounts. (Level Weight)
- Holding R, , will allow quick access to the Sinomacrops' Inventory and it's scream without needing to throw it off the Survivor's shoulder.
- Scare Sign: Sinomacrops are great for scaring smaller creatures while its on a survivor's back, like Ichthyornis and Pegomastax. The circle menu must be added to let it auto-scream as needed, but much like the Light Pets from Aberration, can be toggled to scream with "Light!" emotion(The emote "Clap" does the same thing for those that dont have "light"[to unlock light tame a light pet]). There are no stat focus needed for this role.
- Bug Zapper: Though its scare ability doesn't really deal any damage, it is lethal on activation when used against Meganeura, Leeches, and Titanomyrma; making the Sinomacrops an excellent means of pest control, and helping to reduce your overall annoyance when trudging through jungles and swamps.
- Dismounter: Dismounting some larger tames, such as the Giganotosaurus, leaves you stuck up on a very high saddle, where if you do not walk off onto higher ground or an elevated platform to provide a break in your fall, will consistently see you taking fall damage. The Sinomacrops provides a means of safely jumping off of these high saddles without taking fall damage, provided you remember to use its wings in the process.
- Bug fighter: you can use it's damage multiplier on bugs like the areno in cave runs that have a lot of bugs good for areas that are too small for dinos that are effective against bugs (health and damage)
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Sinomacrops, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- This is the second creature added as a result of the Lost Island Creature Poll.
- the scientific name Sinomacrops bondei is one of the few scientific name used in ARK that is not made up, the other's are Kentrosaurus , Tropeognathus and Kairuku. Sino means "from China" Macro means "big" and Ops means "eyes" while bondei, honors paleontologist Niels Bonde. ( Tapejara could be considered as real life species as well, as its scientific name is Tapejara Imperator , may be reflecting another pterosaur known as Tupandactylus)
- This is the first creature to act like a Glider Suit Skin and a Tek Chestpiece.
- As a flier, while using official settings, the Sinomacrops may not be used on Aberration and Genesis: Part 1 (though it may be released and bred for use on other maps).
- please be aware that the swim, flight, glide, and parachute ability cannot be used when wearing a SCUBA Tank, Glider Suit Skin or a Tek Chestpiece.
- it can go into boss arenas but can't fly while it's on your shoulder , only glide.
|341.19 Lost Island Expansion Release.||Sinomacrops is added to the game.|
|341.33||Sinomacrops can now be transferred to Aberration.|
|342.13||Sinomacrops will no longer eat Kibble.|