The Tek Rifle is a highly advanced ranged weapon.
The Tek Rifle fires explosive energy blasts at a quick rate of fire. While firing, it consumes Element, each piece supplies the rifle with 50 shots.
It does not need to be reloaded at any time, but when the rifle is fired for too long without a break, it will overheat and has to cool down before it can be used again, it takes 41 continuous shots to overheat the weapon.
The Tek Rifle has a built-in scope lens that increases the sight range when activated, similar to the Scope Attachment for lower-tier guns. The Tek Rifle scope also has a night vision function, allowing the scope to be used effectively at night. To zoom in while aiming, use the scroll wheel.
The Tekgram is obtained by defeating the Megapithecus (Beta), the Manticore (Beta), the Ice Titan, or the Crystal Wyvern Queen (Beta). Defeating the higher difficulty versions will also give the player the engram.
List of explosive damage versus various materials as of Patch 257:
|Improvised Explosive Device (pair)||*||7875||**||**||**|
|Rocket Propelled Grenade||*||7350||*||2205||596|
* The damage is greater than the health-points of structures of that material
** IEDs are currently just about impossible to place on stone, metal, or Tek structures.
- The projectiles for this weapon have longer travel time than other rifles.
- The projectiles do Area damage and will hit friendlies if friendly fire is turned on.
- There are Heat indicators on the weapon in 3rd person and Zoom mode that will allow you to regulate your weapon as to not overheat.
- While this weapon's base stats are better than most other ranged weapons, it is only possible to obtain higher Quality Tek Rifles (Ramshackle, Apprentice, etc...) in Extinction from Orbital Supply Drop or from killing Extinction Titans or on genesis via challenges.
- The projectiles for this weapon do not have drop, but will detonate once a max range is reached.
- Although the rifle does damage to Stone and Metal structures alike, it cannot damage Auto Turrets. This is likely for game balance reasons since it has a higher range and its projectiles can't be shot down.
- The Tek Rifle is the only ranged weapon (besides the Rocket Launcher) able to do explosive damage.
- The Tek Rifle like all Tek technologies cannot be used inside most Boss Arenas.
- The Tek Rifle has no magazine but does overheat, it does have 50 shots per one element.
- The Tek Rifle loses 1 durability every 20 shots and an additional 2 durability when a projectile or its splash damage hits a mineable resource such as small trees.
- A 296.6% Tek Rifle deals 711 damage per bolt to creatures with no armor. With 40 bolts, the tek rifle can do 28,440 damage if the target has no armor.
The Tek Rifle is also quite capable at destroying resource nodes such as obsidian, crystal, metal, rock, trees, Beaver dams etc. Exercise caution when firing.