cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/ScorchedEarth/Dinos/SpineyLizard/SpineyLizard_Character_BP.SpineyLizard_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Thorny Dragon (Gauntlet)
cheat summon SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Gauntlet_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Gauntlet/Volcanic/SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Gauntlet.SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Gauntlet'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Thorny Dragon (Retrieve)
cheat summon SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Retrieve_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Retrieve/Volcanic/SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Retrieve.SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Retrieve'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Thorny Dragon (Summoned)
cheat summon SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Summoned_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis2/Dinos/Summoner/SummonedDinos/SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Summoned.SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Summoned'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Thorny Dragon (Hunt2)
cheat summon SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Hunt_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis2/Missions/Hunt/Dinos/SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Hunt.SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Hunt'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Thorny Dragon (Gauntlet2)
cheat summon SpineyLizard_Character_BP_Hunt_C
cheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis2/Missions/ModularMission/Gauntlet2/STA/Dinos/SpineyLizard_Character_BP_STA.SpineyLizard_Character_BP_STA'" 500 0 0 35
The Thorny Dragon is one of the Creatures in ARK: Survival Evolved. This creature can be found in Scorched Earth, the southern parts of Ragnarok, the southeastern area of Extinction, the volcanic region of Genesis: Part 1 and the desert area of Crystal Isles.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Though survivors have come to call these gargantuan reptiles Spiny Lizards, I believe that Moloch sagittarius' closest known relative is the Australian Thorny Devil (Moloch horridus). Besides the obvious gap in size, most of the differences between Moloch sagittarius and its smaller relative lie in its thorns. Instead of being permanent parts of its skin, Moloch sagittarius' thorns are more like spines or quills that can be removed and regrown. In fact, it is even capable of shooting these spines from its tail as a method of self defense, and examination of these projectiles has revealed that they are coated in a lethal poison.
Despite its dangerous spines, Moloch sagittarius has proven to be an excellent mount for indirect combat. Its ranged attacks can wreak havoc in a pitched battle, particularly if other creatures are taking the enemy's attention. Additionally, Moloch sagittarius is able to gather wood rather effectively, making it more than just an option for combat. Once saddled it can be used as a workbench, allowing for a mobile crafting station.
Aggressive when approached. Attacks smaller creatures that venture too close, but will ignore other carnivores. It has a standard bite attack, and a secondary ranged attack where it launches several tail quills at its prey. These quills have a small amount of Torpor effect to them as well as dealing damage. The ranged attack drains a good amount of Stamina when used.
A lot like the modern day horned lizard, although much larger and bulkier. Also seems to have quills like a porcupine alongside its scales.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Thorny Dragon's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Thorny Dragon. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Thorny Dragon will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Thorny Dragon's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Thorny Dragon's "mid-section and legs" magenta.
Base Stats and Growth
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
|Melee Damage||40 / 10||+2 / +0.5||+1.7%||5.6%||15.4%|
|Base Speed||Sprinting Speed||Stamina|
|Tail Needles||Stamina Cost||Attack Range||Description|
|Attack Type||Damage||Projectile Values||Torpor Values||Status Effect: Stamina||Status Effect: Torpidity|
|Life||Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Generally passive unless you get quite close, or are attacked. Generally starts attacking by shooting thorns if there is enough distance, before charging towards you. The ranged attack does 0 damage per spike, but when hit, your torpidity begins rapidly increasing. They will attack relentlessly until their torpidity is too high, or their health is too low.
Seek cover from its ranged attacks and shoot back while keeping your distance
Use any kind of ranged tranquilizing weaponry to be able to keep your distance while fighting
It is faster and stronger than it looks and is able to shoot thorns at you that inflict a tranquilizing effect. You may not be able to back out of a fight at the last second, since it's ranged attack can hit you from quite a distance and will significantly decrease your stamina.
The tail spike ranged attack can easily be dodged. Despite high level individuals having 1,500-2,000 health, they seem to go down fairly easily.
For general info about domesticating a wild creature see Taming.
An effective method to tame anything that fights back is to stand on a rock and shoot from there. Ducking when you see the ranged attack coming works when you can't move to dodge. It is a bad idea to walk backwards while firing, unless you have plenty movement speed and health, as thorny dragons are faster than most low level players. When the thorny dragon gets low on health it begins running away. Though if you can't keep up you can easily fall off of a cliff, you might want to chase one on a raptor or flying mount
|Raw Prime Meat||7||0||0||0||0:13:08|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||10||13||3||2||0:18:44|
|Cooked Prime Meat||14||38||8||4||0:26:14|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||16||0||0||0||0:15:00|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||33||56||12||6||0:31:48|
|Raw Fish Meat||50||107||22||11||0:46:53|
|Cooked Fish Meat||99||105||22||11||0:46:25|
|KO: × 45; × 19; × 5; × 3; × 3; × 2|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.5 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:15:00|
|Raw Prime Meat||15||18||4||2||0:28:08|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||24||101||22||11||0:44:58|
|Cooked Prime Meat||32||176||38||19||0:59:57|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||37||50||11||6||0:34:42|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||79||257||55||28||1:16:06|
|Raw Fish Meat||118||429||92||46||1:50:38|
|Cooked Fish Meat||235||427||92||46||1:50:10|
|KO: × 124; × 51; × 14; × 8; × 6; × 3|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.84 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:24:44|
|Raw Prime Meat||24||83||19||10||0:45:00|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||38||241||54||27||1:11:11|
|Cooked Prime Meat||50||377||84||42||1:33:39|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||58||139||31||16||0:54:23|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||125||539||119||60||2:00:25|
|Raw Fish Meat||188||877||194||97||2:56:15|
|Cooked Fish Meat||375||874||193||97||2:55:47|
|KO: × 205; × 84; × 23; × 13; × 10; × 5|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.09 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:31:25|
|Raw Prime Meat||32||164||37||19||1:00:00|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||51||408||93||47||1:35:32|
|Cooked Prime Meat||69||640||145||73||2:09:14|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||80||267||61||31||1:15:00|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||172||891||202||101||2:45:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||258||1415||321||161||4:01:53|
|Cooked Fish Meat||516||1415||321||161||4:01:53|
|KO: × 286; × 117; × 32; × 19; × 13; × 7|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.32 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:36:16|
|Raw Prime Meat||41||279||65||33||1:16:53|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||65||619||144||72||2:01:45|
|Cooked Prime Meat||88||945||219||110||2:44:50|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||101||414||96||48||1:34:42|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||219||1295||300||150||3:30:57|
|Raw Fish Meat||329||2033||471||236||5:08:27|
|Cooked Fish Meat||657||2029||470||235||5:07:59|
|KO: × 367; × 150; × 41; × 24; × 17; × 9|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.53 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:40:04|
|Raw Prime Meat||50||413||98||49||1:33:45|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||79||856||202||101||2:27:58|
|Cooked Prime Meat||107||1284||303||152||3:20:25|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||123||589||139||70||1:55:19|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||266||1740||410||205||4:16:14|
|Raw Fish Meat||399||2702||637||319||6:14:04|
|Cooked Fish Meat||797||2699||636||318||6:13:36|
|KO: × 448; × 183; × 50; × 29; × 21; × 11|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.73 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:43:12|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
- Gatherer: Thorny Dragons gather wood extremely efficiently. (Level up Weight)
- Transport: Wood, Thatch, Fiber and Stone weigh less while being carried by the Thorny Dragon. Thatch and Fiber weigh only 20% of their usual value (10 kg per, 0.4 kg per, and 0.4 kg per 100 respectively), while Wood and Stone weighs 50% of its usual value (25 kg per 100). (Level up Weight, Stamina)
- Organic Craftsman: Once saddled the Thorny Dragon can be used as a Smithy, allowing for a mobile crafting wagon. It's also possible to increase the crafting speed of the Thorny Dragon by force feeding it Focal Chili.
- Combat Mount: with the right training and breeding, Thorny Dragons can become dangerous mounts in close quarters desert combat. A nice mid-level alternative for traversing the desert and combatting the vicious wildlife, a properly trained or high-level Thorny Dragon can hold its own against packs of wolves, so long as you make sure that nothing gets behind you. Its ranged attacks also allow it to become a jack-of-all-trades.
- Mobile "Ballista": Although it's still capable on the battlefield as close-quarters combat, the main battlefield use of the Thorny Dragon is to be used as a mobile "ballista", providing irritating cover fire for its allies using its quils. Upping Stamina and Melee, the creature quickly becomes an irritant to the enemy in conflict.
- Taming Mount: It's quite easy through breeding and leveling to get a higher-level Thorny Dragon's attack to about 400%, and the stamina 2000+. This not only makes it a nuisance in the above role, but it also allows the Thorny Dragon to become a viable taming assist. With enough patience and provided cover, Paracers and even Rex can be knocked unconscious with its low-damaging, torpor-inducing spines alone. Despite this, it's best use as a taming assist, rather than the sole driving force of torpor.
- Early Game Base Turret: when set to " turret mode " the thorny dragon can be a good early game alternative to the Auto Turret or the Plant X., not as fast or as strong but it can drain enemies' Stamina.
- Early Game Wood Gatherer: The thorny dragon is with no doubt the best early game mount for gathering Wood, being easier to tame and better than a Mammoth as well as having a fairly cheap saddle. compared to the Castoroides Saddle or the Roll Rat Saddle.
- Pet: Thorny dragons aren't small enough to fit on your shoulder but because of their cuteness they can make a suitable companion on your endeavors.
The Thorny Dragon reduces the weight of the following Resources by the listed amount while they are in its inventory:
|Wood can only be collected from trees but not cactus trees.|
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Thorny Dragon, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- The dossier mistakenly lists the Thorny Dragon as an herbivore, when it is actually a carnivore.
- This creature was first revealed as a "Mystery Creature" on March 1, 2016. It was the first creature revealed in that way and the first hint to the Scorched Earth expansion.
- The tail spikes inflict torpor damage when fired.
- It could be the thought of as the Scorched Earth equivalent to a beaver, as it is the only primarily wood gathering creature on the desert, certain materials weigh less on it, and its saddle acts as a mobile smithy.
- The species name, Moloch sagittarius, roughly means "Devil Archer". This is likely due to the fact the Thorny Dragon's real-life counterpart is known as Thorny Devil, and the ability that it can shoot arrow-like spines from its tail.
- Its one of the few creatures to have special saddle skins the others being the Parasaur and the Ravager.
- Despite the Thorny Dragon being based on the Thorny Devil. Aside from both creatures having spikes the Thorny Devil has no armored plates like the Thorny Dragon. However the Armadillo girdled lizard has armor on it's body just like the Thorny Dragon.