The Tranq Arrow (or Tranquilizer Arrow) is used for rendering creatures unconscious. It does less damage than a Stone Arrow, but increases the target's Torpor. Tranq Arrows can be used as ammo for the Bow, Crossbow and Compound Bow.
Upon hit, they instantly increase the target's torpor by an amount equal to 200% of the weapon damage and give an additional amount of torpor equal to 250% of the weapon damage over the course of the next 4 seconds. (ex. A standard quality Bow would Cause 40 Torpor damage immediately, with a timed release of 50 torpor over 4 seconds.)
|Ammunition||Weapon||Damage||Narcotics||Instant torpor||Over time||Total||Torpor / Narcotic|
|Tranq Arrow||Compound Bow||27||1||54||67.5||121.5||121.5|
|Tranquilizer Dart||Longneck Rifle||26||3||156||65||221||73.7|
|Tranq Spear Bolt||Harpoon Launcher||36||3||216||90||306||102|
|Shocking Tranquilizer Dart||Longneck Rifle||26||3||312||130||442||147.3|
|Toxicant Arrow||Compound Bow||27||150||?||240|
- A second arrow hitting the target will not override the torpor-over-time effect of the first arrow, the effects of multiple arrows will instead stack. That means it's not necessary to wait in between shots to gain the maximum torpor. On the other hand, the torpor increase takes 5 seconds. So if the creature is near unconsciousness, it's better to wait after each shot as to not harm the creature unnecessarily.
- Remember not to leave the render distance of a creature you are trying to knock out. Unrendering wild creatures may remove their debuff, and cause previously delivered Tranq Arrow to lose effect.
- A Tranq Arrow fired from a Crossbow is more effective in terms of both damage and torpor when compared to either a Bow or Compound Bow.
- However, bows allow Tranq Arrow to be delivered in a quicker succession compared to a crossbow.
- Flying creatures take 1.5x damage from non-bullet ranged weapons. This bonus stacks with the 2.5x bonus from head shots.
- In Survival of the Fittest, Tranq Arrows become available at level 10 (along with Bow), and can be crafted by using 5 Narcoberries instead of Narcotic (to prevent the need for a foundation, mortar & pestle, and spoiled meat).
- You can collect tranq arrows from killing higher level dinos.
- On ARK: Mobile, there is a variant of Tranq Arrow known as Toxicant Arrows