73.0° Lat, 61.0° Lon
The Upper South Cave is a cave to the north of the swamp on The Island. The cave contains the Artifact of the Pack, needed to summon the Megapithecus. This large cave was considered one of the hardest caves prior to the Snow Cave and Swamp Cave, added in PC Update v252.0. The Mammoth and Lystrosaurus dossiers can be found here, as well as Helena Note #11.
- Cold (-5 °C)
- Swarms of enemies underwater
- Risk of drowning in underwater tunnels
- Mega Rabies from Megalania or Onyc
- Arthropluera in the upper parts can one-shot most armor.
- Flak Armor, SCUBA, or Tek Armor.
- Cooked Meats
- Medical Brews
- Bug Repellant
- Stimberrys or Stimulants
- Lazarus Chowder to compensate for low oxygen
- Fria Curry or an Otter are needed for some armor combinations
- Grappling Hook are needed for reaching the Artifact quickly, lets you mostly skip contact with water, or alternatively a Zip-Line Anchor when riding a Ravager
- Shotgun with Shotgun ammo.
- GPS for if you get lost you can look at it and find where the artifact is or find where the entrance of the cave is to get out.
- A very large part of the cave is underwater. You will likely need 3-5 points in oxygen or Lazarus chowder to get through the underwater parts. Note that the water is cold.
- If you are planning to use a SCUBA Tank to cross the water sections, it is advised to bring along more than one. If you get dismounted the Piranha and Sarco will cause it to break very quickly.
- Bring a Baryonyx. It is surprisingly good for this cave as an exceptional swimmer, and can fend off Piranha and Sarco with ease using RMB attack.
- Follow the green glowing moss on the floor in the tunnel that will lead you to the artifact.
- Dung Beetle
- Sabertooth Salmon
Compatible Tamed Creatures
Now that Cryopods are very easy to obtain (available on every map, crafted in supply drops) it's possible to bring in every creature in any cave, as long as the area is big enough to deploy said creature. This is not going to be assessed in the CTC table.
This cave contains multiple bottleneck points which deny many creatures to access. The first one will prevent creature from engaging any cave creatures. The second one is after a cliff and the first spawn location, and climbers can bypass it by jumping down and climbing back. The risk of drowning in the underwater tunnel is not assessed.
This table is incomplete.
You can help us by adding the tamed creatures you know can enter the cave. If the creature can't enter, please exclude it.
- Excellent: Full-Cave Access (Entrance-to-Artifact)
- Limited: Can Access Portions of the Cave Safely
- Not Recommended: Can Get Stuck/Unable to Leave Cave
- This cave is not on Mobile.
- The entrance is facing south, on a small cliff.
- Bring Cryopod to be certain your mount can exit.
- The underwater part is teeming with Piranhas and Sarcos. If mounted bring some good leather armor and fiber to repair midway, or multiple sets of flak.
- The main path will direct you in front of a lake at the bottom of the cave. There is a shortcut on the right-hand side cliff which is accessible via Grappling Hook and climbers, leading to the Artifact chamber.
- There's a glitch to kill piranhas by tricking them to go above water.